Tuesday, August 7, 2007

I am 'on call' again tonight, and I'm still not liking it.
I'm used to working an actual night shift, which although tiring and at times a pain in the arse I actually quite liked. Except those summer nights when you are driving to work and you pass multiple pubs were everyone is sat outside enjoying the evening.
I enjoyed the occasional free time to catch up on paper work, the surprise on a victims face when you turn up minutes after the burg occurring. The 'team meetings' at a very late closing Turkish restaurant.
And something simple as knowing something about a job via the radio and therefore expecting the 'aaaannnnnyyy SOCO receiving on this channel'

Now, I just live in fear of my work mobile phone and the dreaded NOKIA ring tone (something i could easily change but I secretly like it). Being woken in the early hours with details of a scene that needs 'forensicating' (yes that phrase has travelled) I can't get used too. Half asleep I just agree to anything and hop in my van and drive. As I slowly wake I start thinking of important questions I should have been asking!
Yes, I get a on call payment to basically sleep at home and to be honest on the rare occasions I actually get called out it fairly straight forward, but I just hate jobs being sprung on me and the initial panic I have when the call comes.
Fingers crossed for a peaceful night.

Z

3 comments:

CSI:UK said...

Hope you didn't get called out!. I know exactly how you feel, my girlfriend has now banned me from the bedroom when on call, because it makes her tired the next day!!!

I don't mind being on call too much as you get paid for it, there is overtime on top and if timed right you can end up with the following day off. But you do get called out to some shit and the whole thing is exaggerated over the phone in order to drag you out of bed.

Zephyr Brush said...

Nope didn’t get called out but my colleague who covers a neighbouring area did. Just as he was pulling onto his drive, phone rang and back to work he went. Unlucky!!

Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.